Plenary Sessions [Day 1]
(A) My key learning points from each session...
1. Importance of Water - Dirty and Clean: I have learned that water is precious and people are looking into the problems people face with water like lack of proper sanitation and access to clean drinking water.
2. Revolution of Microelectronics Technology: Integrated Circuits can be used to benefit Bio, Radio, Auto, Info, Nano, Water/Hydro, Audio, Video and Energy.
3. Biomedical Engineering & Technology: Nano technology is about trying to make smaller materials for bigger energy. this can be done by cutting down or building from scratch from the bottom up. Nano technology can be used in many fields like health, defense and virtually. Nano technology can be used in forensic science by detecting chemicals like drugs or explosive on a human finger.
4. IT for Animation by Prof Seah Hock Soon: There are 2 kinds of animations-2D and 3D. 2D animation costs more for production and is more labour intensive while 3D animation costs less to produce and is less labour intensive.
5. Disappearing glaciers, rising sea levels, and why gravity is even more important than you think: Sea-level rise will not be the same everywhere on Earth. Regions closer to a melting glacier will experience a drop in sea-level and regions furthest away will experience the highest rise in sea-level.
(B) Deepest impression...
The plenary session that leaves the deepest impression on me is Disappearing glaciers, rising sea levels, and why gravity is even more important than you think. What I like about it is that it is an interesting plenary session with touches on a very important subject which concerns the safety and welfare of Singapore and its people. It is about how the melting of the glaciers will affect the sea-levels in various areas, around it and further away from it. Climate change is a very big threat and we should not ignore it.